Today’s the first time I managed to cook my own breakfast since I joined work a couple of weeks back. Everyone’s been asking me about life at ABH, the 08:30 to 05:30 routine’s does get me exhausted at the end of 6 consecutive days but I cannot complain. The complex is modern, the facilities are better than anywhere else, the staff is genuinely nice and helpful and the views from the 5th floor [Pediatric Ward] are breathtaking. Other than I no longer get to be my own boss, I have no real reason to be unsatisfied.
These healthy apricot scones, taken from The Australian Women’s Weekly, are a great way to brighten a rainy Sunday morning. Stir all the ingredients together, dump on a floured counter, cut into wedges and bake for no more than 15 minutes. It hardly takes any effort to prepare this wonderful breakfast treat for your loved ones at home. Slap on some good quality french butter or, if you are being more indulgent, spread with your favourite jam and tuck in with a cup of hot chocolate.
APRICOT ALMOND SCONES
3 tbs cold unsalted butter
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbs granulated sugar
1/8 tsp table salt
1 small egg, room temperature
1/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
2 tbs almond flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 oF. In a large bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Rub butter into mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in chopped apricots, coating them well with the flour mixture.
- Beat the yogurt and the egg together and stir into the flour mixture until a loose ball of dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to a flat, well floured surface and knead with a light hand until it comes together as a rough, sticky ball.
- Press into a disc of 1 inch thickness and cut into wedges or into rounds with a cookie cutter. Place on a lined baking pan.
- Brush tops with milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until light brown in colour. Serve warm with butter. Makes 8 wedges.
Hot & Buttery Scones for Breakfast