Today, 5th May 2010, the Mauritian population gets to choose its representatives in the legislative assembly for the next 5 years. Voting centres were open as from 06:00 all over the island for electors to cast their vote as per the instructions set by of the electoral commission.
Political agents of the 2 major parties, namely the Alliance de L’avenir [PTr/MSM/PMSD] and Alliance du Coeur [MMM/UN/MMSD] were actively encouraging electors to vote for their respective parties and providing free transport to the elderly and disabled or just about anyone unable to come to voting centres by their own means.
The political party that really stood out from the lot was definitely Parti Malin. No other political leader could match the enthusiasm and ‘innovative’ ideas of Malin came up with every night on MBC Tv. The chap while being misguided in his quest to bring sanzment dan l’ile mauriste [change in Mauritius] deserves to be applauded for his courage and sense of humour. With the end of the electoral campaign we’ll all miss Malin and his daily speeches. Hopefully he’ll be back in 2015!
Before I went to vote today [post call] I made some cute M&M’s cookies to fill my cookie jar. Please do not go by the colours; they do not stand for political parties. I suggest that we wait and watch [and eat cookies] as the results unfold tomorrow. Recipe for M&M’s cookies adapted from Karen Cheng’s Snippets of Life.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
1 3/4 cup self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 180 oC.
- Beat butter, sugars and vanilla together with an electric mixer until pale. Add egg and beat well.
- Sift in flour and salt. Fold in carefully with a spoon.
- Press dough together with fingers and shape into small balls.
- Flatten each slightly and place on a lined baking tray.
- Press M&M’s into each cookie and pop into preheated oven.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk. Makes about 10 large cookies.
If you feel like treating your family with a main dish that tastes as spectacular as it looks, do try bol renversé. Highly requested in most chinese restaurants here, the dish typically consists of chicken, vegetables and boiled rice arranged over an omelette in a delicate porcelain bowl served inverted over a plate.
While the steps may look long and complicated, bol renversé is quite easy to put together once u have all your ingredients ready. I made this for dinner tonight but it was kinda hard to get good pics in the harsh flourescent light. I really need to learn a few tips on how to shoot under low light I guess.
3 cups boiled basmati rice
1 cup chicken, cut into pieces
1/2 cup mushrooms, canned or dried
1/2 cup baby corn, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, sliced into rings
2-3 bunches brede tom pouce or brede chinois
1/2 cup prawns, deveined
4 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup dark mushroom sauce
1/4 cup water+1-2 tbs cornflour
1/4 cup water
1 tsp sugar
Salt, to taste
- Cut chicken into small pieces and season with salt, pepper. and 2-3 tsp dark mushroom sauce.
- Cook chicken until tender for about 30 minutes.
- Stir fry prawns foll by mushroom in hot oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Chop carrots and baby corn into rings. Chop bredes roughly.
- Steam carrots and brede. Do not overcook. Season with salt.
- To prepare gravy combine dark mushroom sauce and 1/4 cup water in a medium pan. Bring to the boil over low heat.
- Add cornflour-water suspension to mixture and cook, stirring continuously, until gravy thickens. Add sugar & salt.
- Fry each egg separately and place each at the bottom of a chinese soup bowl or small serving bowl.
- Next add cooked bredes, carrots, mushrooms, baby corn, prawns and chicken. Distribute evenly in each bowl.
- Pour 2 tbs gravy over before topping with boiled rice.
- Pack bowl with rice upto rim and drizzle with another 2 tbs of gravy. Cover bowl with a serving plate and invert.
- Unmould your bol renversé and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve immediately. Makes 4 individual servings.