Halloween is not something we’ve been traditionally celebrating here in Mauritius. Though we now have few halloween-themed late night events every 31st October, the culture of trick-or-treating, jack-o-lantern carving and halloween costumes is sadly not yet part of our local celebrations.
This batch of carrot cupcakes I baked with the hope of sharing them on the blog prior to halloween. I initially planned to bake a pumpkin cake but turned to these lovely eggless cupcakes after spying a bunch of fresh carrots on my kitchen counter.
Though not reminscent of fall flavours, my carrot cupcakes thankfully add up to the traditional halloween colours. You can always dress them up with a swirl of cream cheese frosting. I was too tired to bother with frosting of any kind which is why I kept mine plain. Think they were good enough on their own.
2 medium carrots
3 tbs butter, melted
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 tbs light muscovado
3 tbs golden flax seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tbs pecan meal
- Preheat oven to 350 oF. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Shred carrots on a box grater or in a food processor with a shredding disc. Do be careful with your fingers here!
- Toss shredded carrots with 1 tbs flour and set aside.
- Blend melted butter and sugars in a bowl until creamy.
- Blend flax seeds with 8-9 tbs water to form a thick paste.
- Add to butter mixture and beat well. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, lightly roasted pecan meal and spices.
- I use freshly grated ginger and nutmeg for more intense flavours but powdered preparations should be ok.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and add the shredded carrots. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- You can throw in a handful of raisins or cranberries as well.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops turn golden in colour and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool to room temperature. Makes 12 regular sized cupcakes.