After the new year celebrations everyone’s back to work this week. Many of my younger friends and cousins will be going back to school as well after a 2-month long summer vacation. Reminds me of the excitement of moving on to a new semester, the anticipation of meeting new friends, the last-minute rush to get books, school uniforms and shoes.
Start of school term must also be a headache for mothers when it comes to deciding upon breakfast items as well as packing lunch for their kids. These cute Milo cupcakes, adapted from raspberri cupcakes, are the perfect treat for them to discover in the lunch box on their first day at school.
Milo is one of those things I fondly associated with my days in primary school. A glass of Milo used to be a regular component of my breakfast routine. My homemade version was never matched the free samples we got at school as part of Milo’s advertising campaign back then.
We would impatiently await the bright green Milo van and crowd around its dispensing machines the minute it appeared in our school yard. I always used to sneak back for second or third helpings of steaming hot Milo.
The chocolate flavoured beverage was developed during the depression when many children were not receiving enough nutrients from their daily diet. Its combination of malted barley, vitamins and minerals and protein provides all the nutrients one needs to kick start the day.
In 1934, Thomas Mayne created Milo using local milk knowledge and Swiss cocoa expertise. The name Milo was based on a Greek mythical character Milon, who was known for his strength.
The last time I went grocery shopping I bought a large tin of Milo on impulse. The decision to include it in my weekly baking was just as impulsive. I only frosted a couple of cupcakes for the photos but I urge you to make more of this wonderfully creamy icing ‘coz the Milo & Condensed Milk combination is one made in heaven.
100 g plain flour
50 g wholewheat flour
100 g caster sugar
100 g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
100 g Milo
1 tsp vanilla extract
200 g plain yogurt
125 g unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, room temperature
50 g almond meal
For the Icing
30 g lightly salted butter
60 g icing sugar, sifted
1 tbs sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 180 oC. Fill muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugars in a large bowl, then beat in eggs.
- Add yogurt, vanilla and Milo. Beat until just combined.
- Fold in flour mixture and almond meal. Do not overmix.
- Using a tablespoon, drop batter into each cup until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until skewer comes out clean from centre.
- Cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- For the icing, remove butter from fridge 30 min before.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy and then beat in icing sugar.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until combined.
- Place icing into a large piping bag with a star tip.
- Pipe over the top of cupcakes when they are cooled.
- Drizzle some extra condensed milk over the top.
- Finish with a sprinkle of Milo. Makes 12 cupcakes.