Muffins are one of my favourite things, as you know, yet it seems that I have not baked any for ages. How did I manage without you, my dear breakfast friend? Surely it must have something to do with my exposure to advanced orthopedics. I can just pray for some sunshine to come back and warm up my presently doused spirit. For now I’m gonna derive some comfort from these chocolate chip buttermilk oatmeal muffins and watch the dark clouds float past with the occasional thunderbolt.
BUTTERMILK OAT MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into oat mixture just until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin tin three-fourths full. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Makes 16 muffins.
Bran Muffins have always been called as ‘healthy muffins’ because of the name itself implies a high fibre content. Funnily enough, bran muffins are the only muffins I have been buying since I saw them on display at Shoprite’s bakery. So far I have not been able to get hold of a recipe that mimics their taste until I chanced upon these delicious Wheat Bran Muffins. Thank you James!
HONEY BRAN MUFFINS
2/3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup light muscovado sugar
1 tbs dark muscovado sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs honey or golden syrup
2/3 cup milk or yogurt
3/4 cups wheat bran
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 oF. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add sugars.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat till fluffy. Add egg, then vanilla and honey, beat until creamy.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat in milk and half the flour mixture. Beat in remaining flour until incorporated.
- Stir in bran and raisins. Spray a twelve mold muffin tin with cooking spray or coat lightly with butter.
- Divide batter evenly among molds. Bake until a toothpick withdraws cleanly from centre, for about 25 minutes.
- Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm. Makes 12 regular muffins.