Easter marks the end of Lent, a 40-day period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline in preparation for Easter. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday [le mercredi des Cendres] and ends on Easter Sunday[dimanche de Pâques] where Christians celebrate the resurrection of Christ and attend the sunday mass in large numbers before gathering for lunch around a special meal.
Children await the festival with much enthusiasm to participate in the hunt for easter eggs and candy. There ensues the typical scene of older children bagging most of the hidden eggs while the younger ones are given extra eggs as consolation prizes to make up for their disappointment. In very much the same way, the little girl in me can never go through easter season without her fix of chocolate eggs. Cadbury Creme eggs are getting harder to find but I find the Lindt Easter Bunnies equally cute and more fun to hunt down.
Instead of traditional Easter Hot Cross Buns, I used up some leftover egg whites to make cupcakes; I should be making the buns later. The recipe, adapted from Citrus and Candy, is a useful one to have around and can be easily toyed with if you want it to smell of orange or lavender. Maybe I should have planned ahead and made some handles out of fondant paste to stick by the sides of the cupcakes. That would have turned them into proper Easter baskets, just like the little paper ones we used to make as kids. Happy Easter!
EASTER EGG CUPCAKES
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbs almond meal
1/2 tbs cornflour
1/2 tsp baking powder
50 g melted butter, slightly cooled
1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cups.
- Whisk egg whites with 2 tablespoons sugar until thick, pale and foamy.
- Mix the remaining sugar with flour, cornflour, almond meal and baking powder.
- Sift dry ingredients into the egg mixture and fold in. Gently fold in butter and vanilla extract.
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Frost with freshly whipped cream and top with easter eggs or candy. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Good luck for the Easter Hunt!