Mon très cher Hithertododos,
Happy Birthday! I truly hope that you have an awesome one with loads of fun, presents, wishes, Facebook wall posts and of course, a fabulous birthday cake! Well, I baked you a classic butter cake, with chocolate chips, almonds and cherries, all swirled in as one. I could not make up my mind as to which flavour I’d pick so it was simpler to merge them in a single cake so that you’d have a taste of everything with each bite.
I must say that I’m very lucky to have been your friend for so many years. Thanks for your never-ending support and your words of encouragement every time I needed them, for the optimism and confidence you helped me find in myself and for being my strength whenever I felt defeated and depressed. With our small dedicated team, we built the famous Facebook group Moricienneries – The Mauritius Stories and it’s still alive, making hundreds of Mauritians across the word smile, thanks to your talent and imagination.
You’ve been my inspiration so many times and I just want you to know that you’ll always be my friend, beyond words, beyond time.
MARBLE POUND CAKE
200g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs, room temperature
2¼ cups self-raising flour, sifted
¾ cup milk
2 tbs cocoa powder
3 drops red food colouring
50 g dark chocolate chips
50 g almonds, chopped
50 g glace cherries, chopped
For the Vanilla Butter Icing
50g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp boiling water
- Heat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.
- Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Beat in vanilla essence and eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in sifted flour in two batches, alternating with the milk. Divide the mixture between three separate bowls.
- Beat cocoa powder with 1 tbs hot water to make a paste. Add it to one portion of batter and stir in chocolate chips.
- Stir red food colouring into another portion and leave one plain. Add almonds to the plain portion and cherries to the red one.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the different mixtures into the prepared cake tin, alternating the colours.
- Drag and swirl a blunt knife through the mixtures to create a beautiful marble pattern. Tap to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out cleanfrom centre. Cool in tin, remove and cool completely. Makes 12 pieces.
Hope that your birthday’s full of surprises!