I’m pretty sure you all know how to make an omelette; the purpose of this post is not to show you how to cook one. It’s just that I was feeling terribly nostalgic over the past days, missing my beloved JNH, its lovely people and the wonderful environment I grew up in as an intern. To bring those memories back, I made our famous Egg&Cheese omelette, the staple breakfast item served to all interns and RMOs post-call.
High in proteins, calories and fat, it would help us stay on our feet till late afternoon but we had to remember to order it well in advance. The impatient ones would nip the orders of their friends and the senior staff would be given priority over the freshly joined interns but hardly anyone would start their day without the Egg&Cheese. The next hot favourite on the list was the oeuf mirroir or egg sunny-side up for the more health conscious doctors who would often request for a glass of freshly pressed orange juice while watching BBC news or Zoom TV. Damn, I miss you JNH!
JNH’s EGG & CHEESE
2 large eggs, beaten
1 small red onion, diced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1 small bunch spring onion
salt and pepper, to taste
50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat 1 tbs vegetable oil in a large frying over medium heat. Reserve 1 tbs of each: onion, tomato and herbs.
- Add the rest to the beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into pan and cook for 1 minute.
- The underside should turn golden. Sprinkle cheese and reserved veggies over the centre of the uncooked side.
- Using a spatula, fold over edges to enclose the filling. Carefully flip over and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Serve immediately with wedges of fresh pain maison and tea. Serves only 1 [should not be shared! LoL]