International Nurses Day is a worldwide celebration to recognize the contribution of nurses in our everyday life. Coinciding with the birthday of Florence Nightingale, Nurses Day bring to light the work of these unsung heroes and their role in the funtioning of medical sevices round the clock. The theme for 2013 is Closing The Gap: Millennium Development Goals where nurses will be called upon to participate in the challenge of improving social and economic conditions in the world’s poorest countries. Especially relevant to them will be Goals 4, 5 and 6 which relate to reducing child mortality rates, improving maternal health and combating HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases in that order.
I have been lucky to have had the support of a wonderful nursing team throughout my professional career. Special mention for the great team at JNH whom I miss lots, especially surgical, OT and casualty staff. And to all the girls from pediatrics/nursery/NICU at ABH: Working together has been so much fun, thank you for making it so special. Happy Nurses Day to all of you!
YOGURT & OLIVE OIL CAKE
4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp table salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups olive oil
1 1/3 cups plain yogurt
1 tbs vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 oF/ 180oC. Grease and dust a large 8-inch/ 24cm fluted cake pan with flour.
- Whip egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add 2/3 cups sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks, oil, vanilla, yogurt and the remaining sugar until it forms a homogenous mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add egg yolk mixture.
- Beat well until no streaks of flour remain. Add a third of the whipped egg whites to lighten the mixture.
- Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites into the mixture with a large metal spoon until uniform.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour till golden.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with icing as desired.
Happy Nurses Day!