Craving for something sweet and spicy in this cold winter season? Treat yourself with this ‘easy to make and wonderfully soft’ cinnamon cake from Taste.com.au. The crunchy cinnamon sugar crust is the highlight of this otherwise plain teacake. Very comforting with a cup of hot tea, I strongly recommend it when doing night duty on weekdays.
65g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1/3 cup cream or milk
For the Cinnamon Topping
10g butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons caster sugar
Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together for 2 minutes or until combined.
- Stir in half the flour, then half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
- Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack. For the topping, combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Brush hot cake with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and cool slightly. Makes 6 servings.
Sweet & Spicy Winter Cake