You may remember that I have been baking for Red Cross’s Big Cake Bake event for the past 2 years, Chewy Oat Cookies in 2011 and Strawberry Swiss Roll in 2012. Please help me raise funds this year with my Coconut Pina Colada Cake; all donations raised from Big Cake Bake will support the everyday work of Red Cross, including programs and services to help some of the most vulnerable people around the world. The official event date is Monday, 26th August 2013 but can be held anywhere throughout August and gives a wonderful opportunity to bake at home with family and friends in favour of a good cause.
I must thank the Red Cross team for sending me the donation box, posters, spatulas, oven mitt and the lovely pack of fondant icing a week ago. It was a real surprise in the post for me and it truly made my day. After browsing through the recipes on the Big Cake Bake Page, I selected Adrian Richardson’s Coconut Pina Colada Cake. It seemed, to me, a relatively easy layer cake with loads of coconut and pineapple flavour and it did not disappoint. I hope that my post encourages people to donate through GoFundraise on the Big Cake Bake Page and thereby enable Red Cross to carry on with the noble job of improving the lives of the less fortunate.
COCONUT PINA COLADA CAKE
6 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tbs coconut cream
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
550 g crushed pineapple
230 g cream cheese, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
5 cups coconut flakes, toasted
- Bring egg whites to room temperature in a large bowl. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup sugar; beat on high until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks. Gradually add sugar then beat in butter, coconut cream and vanilla.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved juice. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder and coconut extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter and beat until well blended. Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 9 inch round baking pan and level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake at 175°C for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire racks to cool completely. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, pineapple and icing sugar until blended. Fold in whipped cream.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Spread with the cream mixture and top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining cream over cake. Sprinkle with coconut and top with oven-dried pineapple flowers.
Red Cross Big Cake Bake 2013