This light, orange flavored sponge cake, from AnnCooJournal, is a wonderful way to usher summer into your kitchen. The fragrance of freshly pressed oranges adds plus points to this delicate sponge which bakes to golden perfection within a relatively short time. You should, however, give it plenty of time to cool down and refrain from ruining the nicely puffed warm cake by cutting it with a blunt butter knife. In my defense, I’d say that I was pressed for time and the cake tasted fine though the same cannot be said for the pictures.
ORANGE FLAVOURED SPONGE CAKE
3 large egg yolks
30 g caster sugar
35 g fresh orange juice
Zest of one orange
70 g plain yogurt
80 g all purpose flour
10 g corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 large egg whites
70 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170oC. Grease and line the base and sides of a 6-inch round baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until white at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add orange juice, yogurt and mix well.
- Sift plain flour, corn flour and baking powder together. Add to egg mixture and mix well with a hand whisk. Add zest.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold into the cake mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean from centre of the cake.
- Remove cake from pan onto clean tea towel dusted with icing sugar and bring to room temperature before serving.
Smells of oranges and… summer!