My new go-to eggless cake recipe is from Chef and her Kitchen and I might as well make it when I’m not fasting. This cake is light and airy and rises beautifully and does not have the milky aftertaste of condensed milk cakes and more importantly, no one will ever think it is eggless [unless you tell them!]. The huge advantage this cake has over so many others is that you do not have to wait for eggs and butter to come to room temperature before you get started. You can, therefore, decide to bake it mere hours before an event and have all your ingredients on hand. Here I have used tutti frutti and vanilla extract but you can very well throw in anything that takes you fancy: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, lemon or orange zest, berries, pineapple, coconut, you name it.
HEAVY CREAM & CREAM CHEESE EGGLESS CAKE
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cream cheese
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup tutti frutti
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C for 10-12 minutes. Grease and flour a deep 6-inch round pan or line with baking paper.
- Beat heavy cream and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, beat for 2 minutes, then add baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix well and leave aside for 2 minutes. The mixture will become frothy and increase in volume. Now add the vanilla and oil.
- Combine together, making sure that air in the mixture is not lost. Add the flour in two batches and gently fold into mixture.
- It should reach a smooth dropping consistency. Toss the tutti frutti with 1 teaspoon flour, add to the cake batter and fold in.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bring the oven temperature to 180 degrees C. Place the pan in the preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean with few crumbs.
- Remove pan from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the cake edges and gently turn onto a wire rack.
- Let it cool completely, approximately 2 hours. Once it is completely cool, cut the cake into thick slices using a serrated knife.
- You may frost the cooled cake with buttercream or royal sugar icing if you wish before cutting. Makes 6 generous servings.
Made with Heavy Cream & Cream Cheese