If you think that coconut and chocolate are made for each other, then you definitely will love this one. I agree that my roll does not look too pretty but please forgive the looks and let yourself be tempted by this seductive flavor combination: dark chocolate and toasted coconut trapped between layers of soft sponge cake and vanilla scented buttercream. You can almost imagine yourself enjoying an oversize lamington, a classic Australian treat, which is assembled in a similar manner by dipping squares of sponge cake in chocolate icing and coating them with coconut flakes.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT ROLL
For the Vanilla Sponge
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup self raising flour
2 tablespoons hot milk
For the Buttercream Filling
90g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
For the Chocolate Coconut Icing
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease 26cm x 32cm swiss roll tin, line base and sides with baking parchment, extending paper over sides.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 10 minutes until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until dissolved.
- Fold in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches. Pour into tin and bake for about 12 minutes. Sprinkle a piece of parchment with coconut.
- Turn out hot sponge onto parchment paper, peel away lining paper. Using the parchment, loosely roll up sponge from the long side.
- Stand for 2 minutes, unroll and cool and trim all sides of the sponge. To make buttercream filling, beat butter and vanilla together.
- When the mixture turns pale and creamy, beat in sifted icing sugar and milk until light and fluffy. Spread over sponge and roll up.
- For the chocolate icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a small heatproof bowl. Stir in butter and milk. Place over simmering water.
- Stir until the icing reaches a pouring consistency. Place sponge over a wire rack and pour icing over roll. Sprinkle well with coconut.
- Refrigerate the chocolate coconut sponge roll for 30 minutes until well set. Cut the roll into 1/2 inch slices to serve. Makes 10 pieces.
Happy Australia Day!