HAZELNUT & BROWNED BUTTER MADELEINES
100g unsalted butter, browned
175g all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of kitchen salt
100g granulated white sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons honey
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
125g hazelnut meal
- Brown the butter and set aside to cool completely. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl; set aside.
- Working with a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Add honey and vanilla and beat well. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients and the hazelnut meal.
- When they are incorporated, fold in the browned butter. Press a piece of plastic against the surface of the batter.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or for up to 2 days. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Butter and flour madeleines molds.
- Spoon the batter into the molds ¾ full; do not worry about leavening batter, the oven’s heat will take care of that.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove pan from oven.
- Release the madeleines from the mold. Transfer to a rack to cool to just warm or to room temperature. Makes 20.
Adapted from Foodagraphy by Chelle