Keep this one for lazy days when you do not want to be in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes. Mash the bananas, stir in the sugar, oil and yogurt [omit the egg if you want to go vegetarian] and fold in the dry ingredients, that should take no more than 15 minutes. Drop generous teaspoons of Nutella or any other chocolate spread on top and swirl through with a skewer before popping those beauties in the oven. Bake for another 15-20 minutes; you can tell they are done when your kitchen gets filled with the heavenly smell of banana and chocolate.
Taken from The Novice Chef, I replaced the white sugar with dark muscovado and added some whole wheat flour which made my batter way darker than it should have been. I tipped in a small cartoon of whipping cream to help with the texture and skipped the pecan nuts since I was too lazy to chop and toast them. The batter was just enough to fill my four mini muffin tins but I had to add another 10 minutes to the baking time before I could enjoy them as a teatime treat with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
BANANA & NUTELLA MUFFINS
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup over-ripe bananas, mashed
3 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
3 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup Nutella spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners. In a medium bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas and sugars. Beat in egg, vegetable oil, vanilla and cream till well combined.
- Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill tins half full. Top each with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella.
- Use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. Bake for 15- 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool to room temperature on a rack. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Makes 18 muffins.
Banana & Nutella