ALMOND & SEMOLINA MINI MUFFINS
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
150g ground almonds
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
100g fine semolina
75g icing sugar, sifted
2-3 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F and prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners (not necessary if using silicone).
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture turns pale and fluffy.
- Add the ground almonds, baking powder and salt and mix until just incorporated. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Then add the extracts, zest and juice. Finally, gently fold in the semolina. Divide the mixture between muffin cases.
- Bake for one hour, until the cake tops are springy and just beginning to turn golden. Cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl to make a thick but spreadable icing.
- When mini muffins are completely cool, spread about 1 teaspoon of icing over each one with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle a few toasted almonds over the icing and leave to set before serving. Makes 12 mini semolina muffins.
Adapted from The Kitchenist