My sudden craving for brownies meant that I had to make them myself from scratch to make sure I had what I was after. Brownies are not difficult to make but somehow all the ones I had tried in bakeries or cafés were either overbaked and dry or underbaked and sticky, killing my desire for an ultimate brownie experience instantly. I had there and then decided that any further search for the perfectly balanced cake v/s cookie texture in my brownie had to come from home. Fasting implied that I had to do without eggs which was not a problem with the lovely recipe from Spice up The Curry. To bring out the deeply intense flavour of chocolate, I added a whole bar of Lindt Intense 70% Cocoa to my brownie batter along with a handful of chopped pecans. Finally, I could sit back and enjoy this beauty with a liberal scoop of Oreo Ice Cream, a wonderful stress buster after a hectic day in out-patient clinic and operation theatre.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kitchen salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F for at least 10 minutes. Melt the butter and let it cool while you prepare other ingredients.
- Lightly butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray 8×8 inch baking pan. Line the base and sides with parchment paper.
- Take all purpose flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Now sift the cocoa powder. Mix well till incorporated well.
- Now take melted and cooled butter in another bowl. Add yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk well till everything gets mixed.
- Add dry flour mixture. Mix well. Do not over mix. Add chopped chocolate and chopped pecan nuts if using and mix well.
- Now pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes and check if done by inserting a toothpick in the center.
- If it comes out clean then it is ready. Let brownie cool completely in the baking pan on cooling rack for at least 30 mins.
- After it cools completely, remove from pan and using a sharp knife, cut brownie into 16 pieces and dust with icing sugar.
Brownie with Oreo Ice Cream