MINI HAZELNUT MINCE PIES
For the Mince Pie Filling
1/4 cup (45g) sultanas
1/4 cup (50g) chopped raisins
1/4 cup (45g) currants
1/4 cup (50g) finely chopped dried dates
1/4 cup (50g) mixed peel
1/4 cup (50g) finely chopped red glace cherries
1/2 small granny smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
1 tablespoon brandy
1 teaspoon mixed spice
Icing sugar mixture, to dust
For the Hazelnut Pastry
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (50g) hazelnut meal
1/3 cup (60g) icing sugar mixture
125g chilled butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
- Combine together sultanas, raisins, currants, dates, mixed peel, cherries, apple, sugar, marmalade, brandy and mixed spice.
- Place mixture in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 2 days, stirring occasionally, to develop the flavors.
- Place flour, hazelnut meal, icing sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and process until dough just comes together. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead.
- Dough should be just smooth. Shape into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Place dough in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Divide pastry into 2 even portions. Roll one portion into a 2mm-thick disc. Set aside the other portion.
- Cut 36 discs from pastry with a 8cm pastry cutter. Line the base and sides of 36 (1 1/2 tbsp/30ml capacity) mini muffin pans.
- Spoon fruit mince evenly among the lined pans. Roll out remaining pastry to a 2mm-thick disc. Use a 4cm-diameter cutter.
- Cut discs from the pastry. Use a small, star-shaped cutter to cut stars from pastry discs. Place pastry discs over mince mixture.
- Gently press the edges to seal. Use a pastry cutter to trim edges. Place in fridge for 15 minutes to rest. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Rotate the trays halfway through cooking until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Turn the mince pies onto a wire rack to cool. Dust them with icing sugar before serving. Makes 36 mini hazelnut mince pies.
Mini Hazelnut Mince Pies from Taste.com.au