With everyone going back to school on Monday, I turned to this classic British school treat for inspiration. This simple Chocolate Sponge/Chocolate Custard duo seems to be a favorite of every school going child in British public schools. Adapted from Delicious, the soft, springy chocolate sponge coated in thick chocolate custard is the kind of dessert I would have wished for in my school lunch box as a kid. I can almost picture myself eating this, making a mess with the gooey custard cream on my school uniform but wearing a big, happy smile on my face. How I miss those carefree school days!
CHOCOLATE SPONGE & CUSTARD
For the Chocolate Sponge
125g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g golden caster sugar
25g soft dark brown sugar
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
125g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
25g dark chocolate, grated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
60ml whole milk, warm
For the Chocolate Custard
250ml whole milk
1 large free-range egg
1 tablespoons golden caster sugar
1 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons corn flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a square 20cm cake or brownie tin.
- Beat butter until soft then add in the sugars. Gradually add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Sift over flour, baking powder and cocoa, then carefully fold through along with grated chocolate.
- Add vanilla extract and enough warm milk to create a smooth mixture with dropping consistency.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. For the custard, heat the milk until almost boiling.
- Whisk egg with sugar, cocoa and corn flour in a separate bowl and then pour hot milk over the top.
- Whisk well, then return to a clean pan. Cook mixture over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook until it forms a custard that thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Set this aside to cool.
- Turn out the chocolate sponge on a cutting board. Cut into 8 equal squares with a serrated knife.
- Pour a generous amount of the chocolate custard over each square of chocolate sponge. Serves 8.
Bonne rentrée à tous!