A refreshing fruit salad is what you need to end a rich and heavy meal if you still want to opt for dessert on Chinese New Year. This easy make-ahead dish from Taste.com.au only requires to be thrown together at the last minute and will definitely delight the palate of those who have never tried thought of combining these simple tropical flavors. Use fresh fruit if u can else you can still make this beautiful salad from frozen mango chunks and tinned lychees.
COCONUT PUDDING WITH LYCHEE & MANGO SALAD
1/2 cup golden caster sugar
1/2 sachet powdered agar agar
400ml can coconut cream
12 fresh lychees or in syrup
1 large mango, peeled and diced
Fresh mint leaves, to decorate
- Place sugar and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Gradually add agar agar, stir until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes until agar agar has completely dissolved.
- Gradually add the coconut cream, stirring until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Stir every 15 minutes for 1 hour or until the mixture has cooled.
- Pour mixture into a greased 4.5cm-deep, 18.5cm square pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Combine lychees, reserved lychee syrup and mango in a mixing bowl.
- Run a palette knife around edge of pan and invert it onto a chopping board. Press base to release pudding.
- Cut the coconut pudding into 12 rectangles. Place each on a plate along with the lychee and mango salad.
- Top the pudding and lychee-mango salad with mint leaves and chill until serving time. Makes 12 servings.
Coconut, Mango & Lychee