Start your day with these healthy breakfast muffins from Delicious magazine!
APPLE, PECAN AND RAISIN MUFFINS
75g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
300ml skimmed milk
125g natural oat bran
2 eggs, room temperature
75g light muscovado sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
60g whole meal flour
125g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon kitchen salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tablespoon raisins soaked in 2 tablespoon orange juice
25g pecan nuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 190°C/ Fan 170°C/ Gas5. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray with a little butter.
- Put the milk and oat bran in a bowl and set aside. Beat the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla.
- In a larger bowl, sift together the flours, salt and baking powder and then stir in the apple.
- Mix bran into egg mixture, then briefly stir this into the dry ingredients. Divide it into two.
- Briefly stir the raisins into one half of the muffin batter, and the pecans into the other half.
- Put a heaped dessertspoonful of each mixture into muffin holes so you get 6 of each flavor.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve the muffins warm or at room temperature. Makes 12.
Healthy Breakfast Muffins