Start your Sunday with these beautiful, coffee-infused streusel muffins for brunch and relax before taking the plunge for yet another hectic day at work.
COFFEE STREUSEL MUFFINS
For the Muffin Batter
225g all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
70g caster sugar
150 ml full cream milk
2 eggs, room temperature
115g butter, melted
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon boiling water
50g chopped almonds
For the Streusel Topping
70g self raising flour
70g demerara sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cold
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 tablespoon cold water
- Preheat oven to 190 oC/375 oF. Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin pan and line with paper cups.
- Sift flour and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the caster sugar.
- Whisk milk, eggs, melted butter, coffee and boiling water and pour onto the dry ingredients.
- Add the chopped almonds and mix lightly together. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan.
- For the topping, mix flour and demerara sugar together in a bowl. Rub in butter with fingers.
- Combine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in mixed spice and cold water.
- Bring the mixture together in loose crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over the muffins tops.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil if topping browns too quickly.
- Leave to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and dust with icing sugar just before serving.