Adapted a little from Cook’s Illustrated, this hot chocolate mix from Smitten Kitchen is “the ideal homemade gift to pack up for friends and family. It is both rich and deeply chocolaty, without being excessively sweet”. Add some fluffy marshmallows to dunk in or a tee-weeny bit of good quality espresso if you want to do it up further. I believe I’ll be making several jars of this chocolate mix well ahead to be sure to have it on hand as we edge towards our tropical winter. There can only be a handful of things that can make you smile on a cold, winter day and a mug of homemade hot chocolate is one of them.
DECADENT HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
3 ounces (85 grams) semi or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1/2 cup (40 grams) cocoa powder, any kind you like
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from fresh vanilla bean
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until they turn into a fine powder.
- The mixture keeps well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
- To use Decadent Mix: Heat one cup of milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steamy.
- Add 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix. Whisk for another minute or two till it begins to simmer.
- Mix should be completely dissolved. Pour into mug, top with mini-marshmallows or cream.
- Yield: Just under 1 3/4 cups mix, enough for 9 cups; mixture packs up well in a 2-cup jar.
Decadent Hot Chocolate Mix