FRIED RICE/ RIZ FRIT
3 cups cooked basmati rice
1 cup boneless chicken, diced
2 medium carrots
1 handful french beans
1 small tin of mushrooms
1 large starchy potato, diced
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels, drained
1 bunch of brede tom pouce
1/4 of a fresh cabbage, chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
15 large prawns, deveined
2 tablespoons dark mushroom sauce
3 tablespoon oyster sauce
3 tablespoons garlic paste
Vegetable oil, for frying
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 bunch queue d’ail, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in a large pan in its own steam for 20-30 minutes until tender.
- Dice carrots into 1/2 cm cubes and chop french beans into slivers. Drain the mushrooms and slice thinly.
- Wash brede tom pouce and the cabbage well under running water and chop them roughly. Set this aside.
- Leave the rice to soak in a large bowl of water while preparing the vegetables. Set water to boil in a pan.
- In a wok or frying pan, lightly sauté the carrots and the french beans. Next sauté the sliced mushrooms.
- Fry the potato cubes until golden and slightly crisp. Next fry the eggs and cut them into thin long strips.
- Stir fry the prawns until cooked. Sauté the brede tom pouce and cabbage for 1 minute till no longer raw.
- Cook rice over medium heat for 20-25 minutes until firm but not sticky. Drain well, fluff with a spoon.
- In a large bowl combine vegetables, chicken, egg and prawns and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the garlic paste in 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a wok. Add rice, dark mushroom sauce and oyster sauce.
- Fry rice tossing regularly till uniform in colour. Add vegetables, chicken, egg and prawns and toss again.
- Garnish with chopped queue d’ail and spring onion and serve hot with garlic sauce and green chili paste.
Mauritian Fried Rice