Home cooking is my therapy to long hours in surgery, sleepless nights during hectic calls and irritating dead drunk patients. There is no better way to forget the everyday stress of hospital life than comfort food made from scratch. This delightfully easy/lazy recipe combines chicken and mushroom together in a thick creamy sauce. Served warm with French fries and fresh salad or boiled whole wheat pasta, I find this simple homemade dish so much more satisfying [and definitely cheaper] than any 5-star restaurant buffet I may be invited to.
CHICKEN IN CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
500g chicken breasts, deboned
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 red onions, sliced
2 tbs Knorr cream of mushroom
1 cup cooking cream
1 cup cold water
1 bunch parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Select good quality boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chop the flesh into 1.5 inch pieces.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 15-20 minutes.
- Set the cooked chicken aside while preparing the creamy mushroom sauce. Heat oil in a pan.
- Stir fry onions for 1-2 minutes till golden. Add the mushrooms and sauté until evenly cooked.
- Dissolve cream of mushroom in cold water and add to the mushrooms. Simmer over low heat.
- Add cooking cream and bring to a boil until sauce thickens. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom