These gorgeous chewy cookies from Kevin and Amanda‘s blog are just wow! I have only one regret, I should have made a larger batch of these following the original proportions. If you are badly in need of a recipe to redeem yourself as the best ‘cookie-maker’ in your family or friend circle, you will have to sacrifice some extra minutes to roast your hazelnuts, and then puree them into golden hazelnut butter from scratch. To all those with nut allergies: be warned!
HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
150 g hazelnuts, skinned
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup golden caster sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kitchen salt
200g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 oF. Toast the hazelnuts until fragrant, then add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Process nuts for 2-4 minutes until liquefied and smooth. Beat butter and sugars together until fluffy.
- Add 1 cup of hazelnut butter and process on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to wet ingredients, mix on low speed until just combined. Add the dark chocolate chips and stir.
- Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges just start to turn golden brown and crisp. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
With Homemade Hazelnut Butter