This weekend take some time off and bake these decadent Pistachio & Milk Chocolate Squares from BBC Good Food. I was lucky to stumble across this recipe in my book Baking GoodFood as I had a couple of Lindt Excellence chocolate bars and more than half a sachet of unshelled pistachios to use up before their respective Best Before dates. The book features a collection of Easy Baking Recipes edited by Sarah Cook who claims that “there’s nothing nicer than a relaxing afternoon spent in the kitchen making a homemade cake, cookie or loaf of bread and then sharing it with family and friends”. These dainty chocolate squares can well be part of a dessert buffet if you are sure that none of your guests has any allergies to nuts or happens to be lactose intolerant.
PISTACHIO & MILK CHOCOLATE SQUARES
100g shelled pistachios
100g milk chocolate, chopped
100g golden caster sugar
100g very soft butter
2 eggs, room temperature
100g self-raising flour
75 ml semi skimmed milk
50 ml soured cream
- Heat oven to 180 oC/160 oC fan/ Gas 4. Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Whizz 125g pistachios, 75g chocolate and half the sugar in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Tip into a bowl with remaining sugar, butter, eggs, flour and milk, plus a pinch of salt, and beat well.
- Scrape into the tin. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Melt the remaining milk chocolate, stir in the soured cream and cool until the mixture is spreadable.
- Trim edges off the cake. Spread the chocolate icing over the top and smooth it with an offset spatula.
- Roughly chop the remaining pistachios and scatter them over the icing. Cut into 16 squares to serve.
Milk Chocolate & Pistachios