Something savory after all those Diwali sweets!
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup roasted bengal gram/ dhal urad flour
1/4 cup roasted gram flour/ besan
1/4 teaspoon carom seeds/ ajwain
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon kitchen salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/4 cups to 1 1/2 cups water
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Mix the flours, chili powder, salt and carom seeds well. Add butter and rub into flour mixture.
- Mix so that it gets well incorporated into the flour mixture. Add water and make a soft dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth and set aside. Heat oil for deep frying in a large frying pan over medium.
- Prepare the cookie press by placing the star attachment and fill it to three quarters with dough.
- Press into a spiral murukku to a back of a big spoon. Gently place the pressed murukku into pan.
- Fry until both sides are done and the bubbles around murukku subside. Drain well and remove.
- Place on absorbent paper to remove any excess oil. Makes about 50 medium sized murukkus.
From Krithi’s Kitchen