For the month of November Krista & Nicole of Two Cups of Sugar challenged us to make our own version of cheesecake crumble pie. They wanted to share one of their local favorites; in their hometown there is an incredible bakery that makes the most amazing deserts, one of which is their Cranberry Apple Cheesecake Crumble Pie.
It is a long name for a dessert that brings three delicious treats together and this month they are challenging all Daring Bakers to make their own version of this unique dish. Cheesecakes can be savory or sweet and can include an endless number of additions from fruit and chocolate to onions, spinach, or goat cheese.
CHEESE CAKE CRUMBLE PIE
For the Pie Crust
1 ¼ cups / 175g all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon / 5g fine kitchen salt
6 tablespoons / 77g shortening
1 ½ tablespoon / 21g cold butter, cubed
6 to 7 tablespoons / 90 to 105ml ice water
For the Cheesecake Filling
16 oz / 450g cream cheese
3/4 cup / 150g white sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup / 60ml heavy cream
For the Sweet Crumble
1 cup / 140g all-purpose flour
1/2 cup / 75g rolled oats
1/2 cup / 100g white sugar
2/3 cup / 135g brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kitchen salt
1/2 cup / 113g cold butter
- Sift together flour and salt. Add shortening and butter and mix by rubbing mixture between fingers.
- Combine until it resembles like coarse meal. Sprinkle ice water over mixture and blend with a fork.
- If the mixture is not holding together add up to 1 tablespoon ice water. Shape the dough into a disk.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F /220°C /Gas Mark 7.
- Lightly flour working area and roll out the dough to fit 1 – 2 inch / 2.5 – 5cm larger than the pie pan.
- Gently place in pie pan and fold under excess dough. Prick dough several times with a small fork.
- Fill with beans or baking weights or 8-inch /20cm cake pan to help keep the shape during baking.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Remove beans/weight/cake pan and bake crust for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- For filling, have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 500°F /260°C /Gas Mark 10.
- Beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and add sugar.
- Beat gradually until smooth. Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until incorporated. On low speed beat in heavy cream. Add in fruit if using.
- Carefully pour the filling into prepared crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 500°F / 260°C / Gas Mark 10.
- For the crumble, mix all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl. Add butter and crumble together.
- It should resemble a coarse meal (pea-sized). Top the pie filling with the crumble and return to oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature of 200°F / 95°C / Gas Mark lower than 1/2 and bake for 1 hour more.
- Turn the oven off, prop the door ajar and let the cake cool in the oven for 30 minutes before moving.
- Remove to a rack and let it cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
Daring Bakers November Challenge