With the festive season closing in, I felt it was time for me to revisit my cookie repertoire in search of something festive to kick start my Christmas baking. The heavenly Nutella and hazelnut combination in this soft textured cookie from Bake or Break may remind you of a Ferrero Rocher minus the hazelnut centre. It looks good in any Christmas hamper when packed in clear cellophane bags with a fancy ribbon. Its rugged nutty appearance makes sure this cookie has a distinctive ‘homemade’ look that conveys the feeling of extra effort and love to the recipient.
NUTELLA HAZELNUT CRINKLE COOKIES
1 1/4 cups finely chopped hazelnuts
180g Nutella hazelnut spread
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1/3 cup white granulated sugar
1/3 cup light muscovado sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kitchen salt
3 tablespoons full cream milk
Sifted confectioner’s sugar
- Toast chopped hazelnuts in shallow pan at 350 degree in oven for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Next, beat together Nutella and butter or shortening. Gradually add the sugars and then add eggs.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to the Nutella mixture.
- Alternate with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts.
- At this point, put the dough in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to make it easier to work with.
- Shape into 1-inch diameter balls. Roll in finely chopped hazelnuts, then in the confectioner’s sugar.
- The cookies should be placed about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets or lined baking sheets.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Cool on wire racks. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Let the Festive Mood Begin!