Having lunch at a Thai restaurant where we had no dessert option on the menu was simply outrageous to me. To set this right, I had to compile my own sweet treat inspired from Thai cuisine. The recipe, adapted from Taste.com.au, combines coconut and mango – standard ingredients in Thai cooking – to create a creamy custard with tropical flavors. If someday I happen to own a Thai restaurant, I’ll make sure this shows up as the signature dish on my dessert menu.
COCONUT & MANGO CUSTARD
400ml coconut cream
125ml thickened cream
5 eggs, room temperature
70g brown unrefined sugar
55g golden caster sugar
1 large mango, peeled
3-4 fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Whisk together the coconut cream, thickened cream, eggs and combined sugars in a large bowl.
- Strain the mixture in a large jug and pour evenly among six 125 ml (1/2-cup) capacity ramekins.
- Place a steamer over a wok 1/3 filled with water and boil (make sure base does not touch water).
- Place the ramekins in the steamer and cover them with a large piece of non-stick baking paper.
- Cook, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes until the custard is just set, then remove from the steamer.
- Place mango, mint leaves and brown sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- Leave the custard to chill for about 30 minutes. Top custard with the mango mixture to serve.
Thai inspired Summer Dessert