Made out of roasted rice flour and shredded coconut in combination with hot jaggery syrup, these delicious sweet balls are so easy to make in advance and store in an airtight container for days or even weeks. I turned to the ‘Bio’ section of the supermarket to get organic rice flour and powdered jaggery for this recipe from Mareena’s Recipe Collection, so these unde can be almost labeled as healthy. Though many of you must be busy with preparations for Holika Dahan today, I think you still have time to make this quick treat along with some refreshing Holi Thandai to share with family and friends. Wish you all a bright and colorful Holi and may good prevail over evil!
250g rice flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups fresh grated coconut
250g powdered jaggery
1/2 cup cold water
Juice of 1 small lime
2-3 cardamom pods
- Grind rice flour to a grainy powder if lumpy. Take coconut in a bowl and add 1-2 tablespoons water.
- Add the rice powder to it and keep covered for some time. Heat a pan. Tip in the rice flour mixture.
- Roast mixture on medium heat, stirring continuously. Switch off heat when it reaches golden colour.
- Cool and pulse the rice-coconut mixture in a mixer for few seconds. Now take a thick bottomed pan.
- Put powdered jaggery and water into pan. Squeeze in the lime juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it reaches 1 string consistency, switch off heat. To test, take a little of the hot syrup on a spoon.
- Touch it with your fore finger and bring the thumb close as if pinching. Slowly pull the fingers apart.
- If you see a small string forming, it is good. Strain the mixture and transfer it back into the same pan.
- Add the rice-coconut mixture, one spoonful at a time, till you achieve a soft, dough-like consistency.
- Add crushed cardamom pods, mix well. Working quickly, make small marble size balls from dough.
- Roll them evenly in the rice-coconut mixture and once all the balls are rolled, reshape them smoothly.
- Leave to cool, then transfer to an airtight container for storage. These balls can be stored for a month.