CRUSTY ONION & CHEESE MUFFINS
1/4 cup (35 grams) plain flour
20 g cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 teaspoon water, approximately
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, halved, sliced
1 3/4 cups (260 grams) self-raising flour
3/4 cup (110 grams) plain flour, extra
3/4 cup (90 grams) cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups (310 ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil, extra
- In a small bowl, rub in plain flour with butter, mix in just enough water to bind the ingredients together.
- Press dough into a ball, cover, freeze about 30 minutes or until firm. Grease 6-hole (180 ml) muffin pan.
- Heat the vegetable oil in frying pan. Add sliced onion, cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned; cool.
- Sift self-raising and extra plain flour in large bowl. Stir in half the onion, half the cheese and all the chives.
- Add egg, buttermilk and extra oil. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Grate frozen dough into small bowl.
- Mix in remaining onion and cheese; sprinkle over muffins. Bake in moderately hot oven about 25 minutes.
Recipe from Australian Women’s Weekly