Our host for this month’s challenge is Tandy from Lavender and Lime. She bakes bread every week usually from her most amazing sourdough starter. Tandy says there is something really amazing about the smell of bread baking and even better is the glorious scent you get when you cut into the bread. Filled breads are her first choice, and so the challenge this month is to make your own filled bread, using ingredients you most love.
680g / 5 1/2 cups (spooned & scraped) bread flour
15g / 4 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast or 20g / 7 teaspoons active dry yeast
118g / 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
375ml / 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
60ml / 1/4 cup canola oil, plus extra for the dough
22g / 3 1/2 teaspoons flaked salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 large egg lightly beaten + 5ml/1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
10g / 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar, water, egg yolk and oil into a stand mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook.
- Knead for 1 minute, add salt and knead for 5 minutes more. Turn dough out on a lightly oiled surface.
- Knead gently and shape into a ball. Rub the bowl with a little bit of oil. Place dough back into the bowl.
- Keep it seam side down. Cover dough and leave it to prove until doubled in size. Lightly oil your hands.
- Punch back the dough and cover. Prove it for one hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface.
- Knock back, roll out into a rectangle. Spread with grated cheddar cheese. Roll up tightly, lengthwise.
- Trim off edges. Cut in half, down the middle, not going all the way to the bottom. Open the two halves.
- Twist dough to resemble a length of rope. Shape into a circle. Place onto a lined or sprayed baking tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 190°C/ 375°F /Gas Mark 5.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 175°C.
- Bake for further 45 minutes before removing bread from the oven and leave on the tray for 15 minutes.
- Place bread onto a wire rack and leave it to cool completely before cutting. Best served on the same day.
Daring Bakers May 2016 Challenge