Baking a lovely green spinach quiche to help me get through the long hours of night shift was on my to-do list this week. Inspired from Smitten Kitchen, I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding left over roast chicken to the filling and using a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella along with a sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese. Spinach is something I grew to like much later when I discovered dishes like palak paneer. Throughout my childhood I’d related spinach to something that Popeye ate to get his muscles bulging and maybe that is what made me reluctant to give this leafy green vegetable a chance. Hopefully I later became aware of its numerous health benefits and it gradually found its way into my regular ingredient list whenever I plan my grocery shopping.
For the Pate Brisee Crust
1 3/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 tablespoon granulated sugar
9 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
For the Spinach Cream Cheese Filling
85g cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup cooking cream
3 eggs, room temperature
250g spinach leaves, fresh or frozen
200g cooked chicken, optional
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 to 6 green onions, sliced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the cold butter into 1/2-inch pieces. Pulse flour, salt, and sugar together in a food processor.
- Add butter, and pulse until coarse crumbs form, about 10 seconds. Add ice water in a slow stream.
- Pulse for no longer than 30 seconds or until the dough just holds together and is not wet or sticky.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap well in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Press the dough into a tart or quiche pan 7-8-inch in diameter. Trim edges and save as decoration.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in cream.
- Add eggs and remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour the filling mixture into the prepared crust.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, for about 25 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove quiche from pan and cut it into wedges and serve warm as a side dish. Serves 6-8 persons.