Published in the January 2016 edition of the famous Bon Appetit magazine, this particular recipe for crispy mozzarella sticks is the offering of its senior food editor, Andy Baraghani who does not compromise with the crunch factor. The sticks are double battered in layers of flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs which you will find in the Japanese gourmet section along with sushi making kits and green or red curry pastes. The sticks can be conveniently made in advance and frozen in batches to be served piping hot as appetizers for any brunch or dinner party you are planning to host.
1 pound mozzarella
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons whole milk
2 cups breadcrumbs
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1½ teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Vegetable oil, for frying
Kosher salt, for seasoning
- Cut mozzarella into 3 x 1/2″ pieces. Place flour in a shallow dish. Whisk eggs and milk in another dish.
- Mix breadcrumb, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, oregano, parsley, and thyme in third dish.
- Working with one piece of mozzarella at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture.
- Then coat in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Repeat the same steps for a second coating.
- Transfer to a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces of mozzarella.
- Transfer the wire rack to freezer and freeze at least 1 hour. Fit a large pot with deep-fry thermometer.
- Pour in the vegetable oil to come 2″ up sides. Heat over medium-high till thermometer registers 350°.
- Working in batches, fry mozzarella, turning occasionally, till golden brown and crisp, 2 to 2½ minutes.
- Transfer the sticks to a paper towel-lined plate, season with salt while still hot. Makes about 24 pieces.
Mozzarella Cheese & Herb Sticks