It’s always lemon & poppy seed muffins or cake but did you know that this gorgeous, summer pairing can be used for thick, fluffy pancakes? Yes, add a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkling of poppy seeds to your regular pancake batter and taste the difference. The recipe, from Sally’s Baking Addiction, can label itself healthy as it calls for whole wheat flour and a good measure of Greek yogurt [the last I had in the refrigerator]. Poppy seeds add a nice little crunch to every bite and you would agree that the best part of being served pancakes for breakfast is to have a generous pat of butter, that melts instantly, along with some unconditional drizzle of golden/ maple syrup on top.
LEMON POPPY SEED PANCAKES
1 cup (123g) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon kitchen salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup (124g) Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (120ml) full cream milk
1/8 cup (30g) unsalted butter
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Microwave butter until melted. Set aside to slightly cool. You do not want it to be piping hot.
- In a large bowl, toss flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds together.
- In another large bowl, whisk yogurt, milk, butter, egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk it to combine everything.
- The batter is thick and a few lumps may remain. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Coat generously with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Drop 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle.
- Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on sides of pancake, about 1 minute.
- Flip the pancake and cook on the other side until cooked through for about 2 more minutes.
- Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200°F (93°C) oven till all the pancake batter is used up.
- Serve the pancakes immediately with fresh fruit or any topping of choice. Makes 10 pancakes.
Lemon & Poppy Seed Pancakes