After the bleak and rainy weekend, we finally get to enjoy a tiny bit of sunshine this afternoon. I have been saving this deliciously creamy milkshake recipe for a stifling hot summer day but today I could wait no more. Taken from The View from Great Island, this shake has a thick yet smooth texture with toasted almonds and almond paste coarsely blitzed into the final brew. I think I pulsed the almond mixture slightly more than I should have but then it gives me a pretty good excuse to make this milkshake all over again, with a swirl of whipped cream on top along with some toasted almond flakes.
TOASTED ALMOND MILKSHAKE
4 scoops vanilla ice cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup full cream liquid milk
1/4 cup raw sliced almonds
30g almond paste or marzipan
- To make toasted almond mix, toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat for several minutes.
- Stir constantly until they turn fragrant and golden. Set aside to cool. Cut almond paste into chunks.
- Put almond paste in a food processor along with cooled almonds and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Put ice cream and 4 tablespoons of the toasted almond mix in a blender along with almond extract.
- Add just enough milk to loosen it up. Blend till all ingredients are homogenous mixed for a minute.
- Pour into tall glasses and top with more toasted almond mix and serve right away. Makes 2 servings.
Toasted Almond Milkshake