To counter the extreme temperatures we have been subject to lately, I have resorted to making my own ice creams and sorbets from simple everyday ingredients. In addition to creating new flavour combinations, it gives me complete control over the amount of sugar and fat that go in the making of my frozen treats. With the abundance of imported mangoes in my local fruit market, I knew it was high time to post a mango flavored dessert yet it felt unfair to bake them and lose all that glorious freshness in the process. It took me only an instant to register that I had never blogged about homemade frozen yogurt; somehow the simplicity of it made me overlook the beauty of this relatively healthy frozen dessert, commonly known and commercialized as fro-yo.
Frozen yogurt is now readily available in many popular outlets in our innumerable shopping malls, including brands like AngelBerry and SiMiS, boasting a wide array of flavors and toppings to accompany their creamy yogurts, almost ice cream-like in texture. The homemade version, while being slightly more tart and icy in comparison, carries the benefit of being genuinely fresh and way much cheaper. The recipe, from Sophisticated Gourmet, is made from juicy mango chunks pureed along with unsweetened yogurt. To reduce the chance of your fro-yo developing ice crystals, it is best to drain away maximum moisture from the yogurt by hanging it in a cheesecloth for a couple of hours and to replace milk with equal volume of cream for a velvety smooth texture.
MANGO FROZEN YOGURT
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1/2 cup fresh whole milk
5 tablespoons sugar, to taste
2 mangos, peeled and diced
3 1/2 tablespoons honey
Pinch of salt, optional
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend till smooth for about two minutes.
- Place the mango yogurt mixture in a bowl that is safe enough to go in the freezer.
- Place the yogurt mixture in the freezer, cover it, and set your timer to 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, whisk vigorously. Be sure to whisk mixture and not use a fork.
- After another 1 hour and 15 minutes into the freezing, whisk it vigorously again.
- Do the same 1 hour and 45 minutes into freezing and allow the mixture to freeze.
- After the mixture has frozen, scoop it in bowls. Top with some crushed pistachios.
Mango Frozen Yogurt