After endless days of scorching heat and limited water resources in many unfortunate areas over the island, we have finally been blessed with heavy showers this weekend. Cyclone Carlos, a severe tropical storm looms in the distance as we reap the benefits of its dense clouds and drop in temperature since a cyclone warning class 1 has been forecast today morning. Though the rainy weather confines us indoors, limiting our range of activities, many welcome the change to pursue their more domestic hobbies like reading, knitting or baking. While I need no excuse to bake, the cyclone did prompt me to put on my old kitchen mitts and apron to try this lovely Orange & Cranberry Bread from Sally’s Baking Addiction. With its tender fruity crumb and buttery streusel topping, I feel it would surely be a crowd pleaser at teatime especially with a cup of freshly brewed local vanilla tea on any day, rainy or not.
ORANGE GLAZED CRANBERRY BREAD
For the Streusel
1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons (30g) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter
For the Cranberry Bread
2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kitchen salt
1 cup (110g) fresh cranberries
1/2 cup (65g) chopped pecans
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 cup (105g) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange zest
For the Orange Glaze
1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tablespoons orange juice
As much orange zest as you want
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray or line base and sides with parchment paper.
- Make the streusel by tossing flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or a fork.
- Some large crumbs are ok. To make the bread, toss flour, baking soda, salt, chopped cranberries, and pecans together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, brown and granulated sugars together until combined. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Whisk in buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and orange zest. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Gently whisk until there are no more lumps. Try very hard not to over mix, which will result in a tough textured bread.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Top evenly streusel, pressing down gently into the top of the bread so it sticks.
- Bake the bread for 45 minutes to 1 hour, covering loosely with foil about halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Poke the center of the bread with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. Allow bread to cool completely.
- Make the glaze by whisking the confectioners’ sugar and orange juice together in a small bowl. Add the orange zest.
- Drizzle over the bread and cut to serve. Unglazed bread stays fresh covered tightly at room temperature for 5 days.
- It can also be stored in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. Glazed bread must be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Orange & Cranberry in a Bread