The aftermath of Valentine’s day is that you will probably end up with more chocolate than you can possibly eat even if you plan to go on an all-chocolate diet. While I still have my stash of Christmas chocolates (along with an enormous jar of Nutella spread) preciously stowed in a cool, dark corner of my kitchen cupboard, I have been at a loss of think of a recipe that might tempt me to get them out of their hiding place… until I discovered these Chocotella cupcakes.
In fact the original recipe, from Taste.com.au, has each cupcake frosted with a swirl of Nutella, whipped cream and a Ferrero Rocher elegantly balanced on top. I, however, was intent on using my mini muffin pan to make smaller cakes and had to dismiss the idea of having a Ferrero Rocher perched on top of something this small, which would surely make it look ridiculously out of proportion. For my next batch of Choctella cupcakes, I plan to include a Nutella centre inside and dunk the Nutella topped cakes in hazelnut praline and christened them as Fererro Rocher cupcakes.
70g brown sugar, firmly packed
50g butter, room temperature
40g dark chocolate, chopped
60ml (1/4 cup) cold water
1 egg, room temperature
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
25g (1/6 cup) plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
120g (3/8 cup) Nutella
Whipped cream, to serve
Chocolate flakes or sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan forced. Lightly grease and line a mini muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place sugar, butter, chocolate and water in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir until melted and smooth. Set it aside to cool. Add the egg to the chocolate mixture and whisk well.
- Sift flours and cocoa over egg mixture. Gently fold in until just combined. Divide mixture among pans.
- Bake the cakes for 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Spread cupcakes with 1tsp Nutella.
- Top cupcakes with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate flakes or sprinkles. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Chocolate + Nutella