If you have Nutella but no chocolate mousse, dnt panic. We can fix that right away. All you need is a brilliant recipe for Nutella mousse like this one from Purewow. To use what I had on hand, I substituted the cream cheese for a tub of mascarpone and used only a quarter of the amount of sugar stated. I can imagine that you can totally go without any added sweetener as the Nutella should be enough for any seasoned sweet tooth. If you are patient enough, leave it to set in the fridge for a couple of hours to achieve the distinctive mousse-like texture but if you cannot keep yourself waiting for so long, grab a dessert spoon and simply dig in after topping with fresh cream and chocolate shavings [from the photos you can guess this is exactly what I did!]
250g mascarpone, room temperature
3/4 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
Whipped cream, for topping
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese with the Nutella.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and fluffy for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer it to a medium bowl.
- Wipe out the bowl. In the bowl of the electric mixer, fitted with whip attachment, whip cream to soft peaks.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract, and whip to medium peaks. Add a third of whipped cream to Nutella mixture.
- Fold with a rubber spatula to combine. Add another third of cream and repeat, folding it until incorporated.
- Add the final third and fold to combine. Divide mousse among serving dishes and chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Top mousse with a dollop of whipped cream, garnish with chopped hazelnuts and dark chocolate. Serves 4.