CREAM CHEESE MARBLED BROWNIES
For the Cream Cheese Swirl
85g cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
For The Brownie Base
1 cup pecan nuts, chopped
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon kitchen salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
170g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
2 1/4 cups caster sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 325°F. Line a 13×9 inch pan with aluminum foil.
- Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray. Beat cream cheese and butter till light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until well blended. Beat in egg. Mix in one tablespoon flour.
- Spread nuts evenly on rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant for about 5-8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Whisk to combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of almost-simmering water.
- Stir occasionally, until smooth. When mixture is completely smooth, remove bowl from saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition until well combined.
- Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions until the batter is smooth and homogeneous.
- Transfer half of batter to prepared pan. Spread batter into corners of pan and smooth the surface.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over, then second half of brownie batter. Swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Sprinkle toasted nuts evenly over batter. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, being careful not to overcook.
- A toothpick inserted into the center of brownies should come out with few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove from pan by lifting overhang.
- Cut brownies into 2-inch squares and serve. Store them in airtight container at room temperature.
Cream Cheese Brownies by Smitten Kitchen