As you might have noticed, I am getting into salads and healthy eating since the start of this year. Though my New Year resolution every year is this huge struggle to cook and eat stuff that does my body good, it is a never-ending tug-of-war between the mind and the heart to actually make it happen. I am really excited to share with you this deliciously fresh and nutritious salad from How Sweet Eats, which is now my regular pick on days when I have to go 100% vegetarian.
SUMMER CHICKPEA SALAD
For the Chickpea Salad
3 cups boiled chickpeas
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 ears grilled corn, cut from the cob
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1 large English cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/4 teaspoon kitchen salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Honey Garlic Lime Vinaigrette
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 lime, juiced and zested
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, onions, corn, tomatoes, basil, cucumber and sprouts.
- Toss with salt and pepper. In saucepan, add oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, lime juice and zest.
- Heat over low heat and whisk until the mixture is warm and garlic cloves are sizzling a bit.
- Pour the liquid over the chickpeas and toss well to coat. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate salad for at least 30 minutes before serving. This salad tastes better as it sits.
- Serve with toasted baguettes spread with coconut oil or whipped feta. Makes 4 servings.
Summer Chickpea Salad with Vinaigrette